Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Don't Be So Blind That You Forget to See The Signs

It's 6:49 am, and I roll over to my phone. Awoken from the most pleasant slumber, just as Idris Elba and I were about to head into a cabana! I open my messages to an unfamiliar number asking about a fiance. Wait. Let me wipe the sleep out of my eyes, grab the bifocals from the side table, and read it again. This time correctly. Because maybe this person meant to say FINANCE. This is clearly a money question. Shake it off, and read. No, no, it said FIANCE! I almost broke my little wooden bed at how fast I popped up. So, now I'm just sitting there with the dumbest look on my face wondering who in my contacts has a fiance, let alone one that I've had communication with lately! My phone rings, and little did I know, I was answering the call that would confirm a feeling that I had all along.

Hours, text messages, and phone calls later, the young lady insists that I get on the call. I could have sworn that I was back on the grounds of East Flora Middle! I told her for her peace of mind, I would speak to both. I convinced myself that I would handle this call with the utmost class! Yeah, that lasted all of two seconds. Here I am in this very distinguished neighborhood, talking like I'm on a scene in New Jack City, thinking of phrases I didn't even know I had in me! They are just shooting out, and I'm ducking all under trees trying my best to prevent these fine folk from hearing such unpleasantness! (I tell people all the time, please don't let the proper grammar and nice smile fool you.) BUT in the midst of this madness, I remembered one thing, if only I had paid attention to the signs. 

The signs are always there. I don't care who the person is. If someone is not the person for you, there are always little red flags along the way. I was bombarded with all sorts of red flags, but I chose to ignore them. Signs don't always have to be loud and in your face. They may be subtle, but they are present. It may be something as simple as a phone call. Joe Frank always promises to call you, but he never does. You're probably still waiting on that call. SIGN! Lucy Bell always has an excuse as to why she never texts you back. SIGN! Pay attention to all of those things. Does this person stick to his/her word? Listen. Be present. Pay attention. Don't be so caught up in pure bliss, already planning the future when you haven't even had a clear take off for the present. Everyone gets that gut feeling. For women, it's women's intuition, but everybody has that thing inside of them that goes off when something isn't right. It's like a little tap on the shoulder, but you brush that off. Ok, so now you get a nudge, a little harder than the tap. After a while, something is like look, let me just headbutt this goofball because he/she is still not getting the picture. This is what puts everything in perspective, and you have that, "Ohhh, I should have known!" moment. Even though you knew something wasn't right all along. Instead, you chose to see what you wanted to see rather than what was. Yes, some people are really good actors, but they can only put on an act for so long. The real person will begin to surface, and true colors will begin to show. One of my favorite quotes by Maya Angelou is, "When people show you who they are, believe them the first time." Don't wait until the 50th time and then have an epiphany. If they are showing you that they cannot be trusted, why would you trust them the next time?  "Well you know Betty, I think Joe might be a habitual liar." "Man, I think Josephine might be crazy!" Why, yes sweetheart, and that was evident 49 times ago. People show you who they are EVERY single day.. in their actions, what they say, how they treat people, etc. It's up to you to see the person in front of you, not who the person could be or what you want them to be. Step out of your bliss, lust, or whatever it is that you are feeling. As I said before, the signs are always there. The question is, will you pay attention or will you continue to ignore?

4 comments:

  1. I loved reading your blog Soror. You write and speak the truth extremely well. (Soror Annette Woods, Lambda Eta, Spr. '88)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading post & all of the truth behind it! I can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your post! Along with every other. You are truly gifted! Can't wait til the next!

    ReplyDelete